As a parent, all of us are worried about our kid’s physical health, their studies, and other things. But have you ever wondered about their Emotional health? An Emotionally Happy Child of today would be a mentally happy and strong individual of tomorrow. So imparting them good emotional health and teaching them the basics of Emotional Intelligence to kids is also the primary responsibility of the parents.
During this pandemic, most of the parents are working from home and managing multiple activities including kid’s studies. Amidst all this, we are not getting adequate time to sit and observe the kid’s fears and anxieties. The kid’s emotions are also overflowing and not able to find a way to vent them out. In fact, their internal fears and various anxieties are growing up into big monsters in their head waiting to explode at any given moment.
As a parent, when we ourselves don’t have time to manage multiple stuff, how can we sit and observe our kid’s emotions and take care of them?
This very same question has driven me to take up various child psychology courses and even led me to Meravigilia EQ Academy. I had completed my Kids and Parents Life coaching courses with them. These courses helped me to grow as an individual and also helped in improving my bond with my kid. Now we both have become emotionally literate and can manage our emotions better together.
Mental Health Issues observed in Children during Pandemic.
The moment, we talk about the problems faced by the children during the pandemic, the first and foremost complaint that comes from the parents is about “Digital Addiction”. That’s a very long topic and already been discussed so much in print and social media. Hence, that topic is for the other post.
These are a few of the issues the mental health practitioners worldwide have observed in kids. We need to try and help our kid’s in managing their emotions and the various issues mentioned below.
- Kids are getting anxious and scared to meet new people or step out of the house
- They are getting bored with all the Online classes and digital interactions too. Hence, their interest in studies is also dwindling
- They are resorting to the passive watching of the gadgets, which is hampering their emotionl growth and management
- Their anger and frustration levels are becoming higher and higher
- They are becoming withdrawn and silent
- Their phobias and fears are increasing
- Their need for constant attention and affection is increasing.
Most of the above issues are again interconnected and leading to more complex issues, if not addressed at the earliest. Emotional Intelligence is the answer to all the above issues.
What is Emotional Intelligence?
Emotional Intelligence (EI) is nothing but acknowledging, managing, and positively expressing our emotions. As adults, we ourselves fail at managing or expressing our own emotions. Do you agree that there is no wonder for the kids not to be aware of emotional self-care?
The anxiety and fear about the unknowns in the current chaotic situations outside are draining most of the people’s energies. In that case, just imagine the situation of the kids, who thrive on the social interactions and grow while playing outdoors. They are restricted to indoors and not given a chance to relax and unwind with friends.
Kids learn to experience various emotions while they are playing with their peer group. Their peer group is currently replaced with gadgets. These gadgets are not teaching them healthy ways to express their emotions. We as parents are not able to provide good role models for them in this case.
Basically, Emotional Intelligence encompasses the following:
Being aware of different emotions the human being can feel. Their level of intensities and the inter-linking connections between various emotions needs to be understood. Also, we have developed the required vocabulary to describe these emotions in detail to another person.
Being able to identify the various emotions in the self. Also being able to identify the emotions the other person is going through based on their body language and expressions.
Being able to identify the root causes for various emotions one can go through. Also, understanding how our behavior is changing when we undergo various emotions.
Accepting our own behavioral mistakes when the high tides of emotions hit us. Trying to make amends with the near and dear whom we would have hurt during these high waves of emotions.
Managing and Controlling:
Once we can understand the triggering mechanisms for various emotions, reacting at the earliest to stop being swayed in the emotional high storms. Also, expressing those emotions without hurting self or others.
Once we understand the emotions we are feeling, then the next step is to understand the emotions that other people are going through. Understanding their behavior is being driven due to the different emotions they are undergoing. Also, trying to help them to sail through these big feelings.
Benefits of having Emotional Intelligence:
Emotionally intelligent people would be standing out in the group and would be taking the stairs up to their success. Have you ever wondered why? The following are few reasons:
- Self-Awareness: They are aware of their own weaknesses and strengths. So, they can use their strengths and weaknesses wisely to navigate through any situation.
- Managing Stress: They would be able to identify the root causes that are causing them stress and anxiety. So, these people can find out the ways to remove the stress.
- Intrinsic Motivation: These people always possess the intrinsic motivation to reach their goals. They will be able to set their goals and targets based on their weaknesses and strengths and would acheive them with out any external push.
- Decission making power: They will be able to evaluate the situations and emotions to come up with a judgement. So their decission making power would be non-judgemental.
- Communication skills: They use the verbal and non-verbal cues to understand other people’s feelings and hence will be able to communicate with them better.
- Good Relationships: Since, they are able to understand the feelings of others, these people will have good social skills and will be able to connect with people easily and maintain good relationships.
- Acceptance to Change: These people would be able to accept the change without resistance. Hence, they would be able to mould themselves in the ever changing world.
- Positive Attitude: These people will know the way to come out of a tricky situation. They will become the doers and try to solve the problems.
- Leadership Qualities: Since these people are able to connect with people easily and guide them appropriately, they would become the leaders whom people would love. In all probable situations, they would be leading by example, rather than by preaching.
- Mentally Strong: They will be mentally strong as they know the triggers of the negativity and avoid them, come out of negativity with relative ease.
Now that you understood the benefits of having Emotional Intelligence, the parents need to impart this precious knowledge to all our kids. Luckily, MEQ Academy has come up with the EI Certificate course for kids, which is one of its kind and the first one.
It’s a 6 weeks course (1 hour per week) which teaches about Emotional Intelligence to Kids and how they can use it for their own benefit in the future. This is one of the best gifts we can give our kids, as we are training them for the uncertain future and the competitive world they would be facing when they grow up.
Please contact MEQ academy for further details of this course, if it interests you. The EI course is designed by MEQ academy, in such a way, that it will impart all the aspects of Emotional Intelligence to kids in a structured way.