As soon as the Mother’s Day fever is over, social media will get flooded with Father’s Day messages. So many DIY cards, greeting cards, and wishes to fathers keep popping out of nowhere. Most of those wishes remind us of fathers’ unique and irreplaceable role in one’s life. But they quickly forget that millions of single moms have single-handedly raised happy and strong individuals before, and now that trend is on the rise too. So no wonder why the Happy Father’s Day wishes to Single Moms can be a little irritating to them.
Father’s Day is traditionally a day to honor and appreciate fathers and father figures. Celebrating Father’s Day helps the children develop a sense of belonging and stability provided by fathers. Some people grieve for their deceased fathers or missing partners who are fathers to their children. But honestly, it need not be a day of mourning, disappointment, or emotional turmoil for single moms.
Related Read: Woman! Unleash the TIGRESS in you
Why must we pass Happy Father’s Day Wishes to all Single Moms?
Single moms can celebrate Father’s Day by honoring the male figures who have played a significant role in their children’s lives. This can include grandfathers, uncles, brothers, mentors, teachers, or even close family friends who have provided guidance, support, and a positive male influence. But, even if they don’t have or want to honor the male figures in their lives, they can pause and appreciate their efforts as single moms.
A Happy Father’s Day wishes to Single Moms is the need of the hour, as millions of moms play both roles in their children’s lives. On Father’s Day, let us not forget to extend a heartfelt message to the hardworking single mothers who tirelessly perform their duties. To all those single moms,
- Who bore the grunt of society and still went around strong outside though they were getting emotionally torn internally for the well-being of their children.
- Who doesn’t have the choice to quit, even though they are tired, as they want their children to settle well in their lives.
- Who stepped out of their comfort zone to manage the house and give wings to their children’s dreams.
- Who never considered whether it was a father’s or mother’s role but decided to fulfill it and pulled the double duty with aplomb.
- Who handled all the difficult conversations about drinks, sex, dating, and drugs with kids without any hesitation.
- Who picked up their kids from practice and helped them with their sports gear, science projects, and whatnot.
- Who taught their sons to drive, shave, and stand up as empathetic adults so that they wouldn’t hurt another woman.
- Who taught their girls to defend themselves and become independent from a young age.
- who tends to question whether they made the right choice, who fall asleep crying out to themselves for the emotional stress they have given their children due to their decision?
- who tend to doubt their capabilities and endurance on the darker nights but get up with a smile the next day morning to wake up their kids.
- To all those tired, hungry, sleep-starved moms who still keep working hard for the sake of their children.
As you receive Father’s Day wishes from your children, take a moment to appreciate their genuine admiration and affection for you, expressed through their gifts. If you also receive wishes from family and friends, acknowledge that you have fulfilled both parental roles with confidence and strength. And they admire you for this. Hence, don’t let the mother’s guilt convert this day into another emotional high-drama day, and celebrate yourself and your children.
Related Read: Unlocking the Fun Factor in Parenting
Ideas to Celebrate Father’s Day for Single Moms
You can celebrate Father’s Day by tweaking its meaning to the situation that suits your life. Here are a few ideas for single moms to quickly get things moving on Father’s Day.
- Create New Traditions: Instead of celebrating with the father, you can use this opportunity to create new traditions. These traditions can involve activities that promote bonding, such as planning a special outing, preparing a favorite meal together, or engaging in fun and meaningful conversations about the role of fathers and mothers. By creating new traditions, single moms can foster a sense of unity, instill cherished memories, and establish a foundation for future celebrations.
2. Celebrate the fatherly figure in your circle: You can use this day to celebrate the grandfathers, uncles, coaches, mentors, or close family friends who have played a significant role in your children’s lives. Recognizing these individuals on Father’s Day demonstrates gratitude for their contributions and essential functions in your children’s lives, including yours.
3. Discuss the missing Dad: Dad is not present in your children’s lives as he might be an absent dad or deceased. Some of you might be co-parenting post-separation. So use Father’s Day to candidly discuss the missing dad in your children’s lives. There is no use in blaming or pointing out his mistakes. Instead, limit the talk to the positive side of it, and tell them that you are glad to take up both roles so that the children can be happy and safe in your hands. You can even talk about your dad (their granddad) and his positive influence on you. If that’s not the case, you can discuss any other positive role models you see in the society around you.
4. Fosters your Emotional Health and that of your children: Celebrating Father’s Day as a single mom can positively impact your children’s emotional well-being. It allows them to focus on the love and support they do have rather than dwelling on what may be missing. In addition, this celebration encourages a positive outlook and fosters resilience, which is crucial for overcoming the challenges single-parent households face.
5. Celebrate yourself: Proudly embrace yourself by wearing mom and dad caps. Enjoy your time with your support groups (your extended family and friends). Even if the world doesn’t appreciate you, you can start appreciating yourself and treat yourself for the job well done!
Related Read: Summer Self Care Tips for Parents
A parent’s role or importance in their children’s lives can’t just be celebrated once a year but must be acknowledged and celebrated daily. So there is no point in berating yourself for being a single mother to your children. Instead, it’s time to wake up and embrace both mom and dad hats equally and display them proudly. You are sufficient to raise your children into happy, emotionally strong, and mature adults. So pamper yourself by gifting yourself a goodie on the Father’s Day occasion.
Note: I am not undermining the role of the father figure in one’s life. But absent or abusive fathers do more harm than good to their children. It’s always moms who work doubly hard in those situations so that their children lead happy life in the future. Hence this post is my tribute to all the single moms out there. A Happy Father’s Day to Single Moms everywhere.